As we prepare to wave goodbye to 2019, I thought it’d be a good time to recap Nugget’s News’ year. Firstly, however, a quick shout out to all the first-time parents. My wife and I joined the club earlier this year when Louie was born. If having a child doesn’t emphasise the need for a work-life balance, then I don’t know what does! Now, back to crypto. What follows is my recap of Nugget’s News’ year, comments on the state of the crypto industry, and predictions for 2020.
Busy Year on YouTube
The YouTube channel—where Nugget’s News originated—continued to grow from strength to strength in 2019. The 250-plus videos uploaded throughout the year covered a number of topics. The vast majority of these belong to the following three topics: cryptocurrency, macroeconomics, and geopolitics.
Earlier in the year, me and the team tried our hand at our first-ever documentary-style video. The result? Australia – A Coming Financial Crisis; the channel’s most popular video to date with over 200,000 views.
My monthly updates on the Australian housing market and economy with Martin North have been a pleasure to shoot, especially given 2019 has been very eventful for Australia’s housing market and monetary policy. I love the encouraging feedback we receive and look forward to continuing the updates. 2019’s final instalment went up the other day, click through to watch.
Many thanks to all that subscribed in 2019!
Nugget’s News Crypto Podcast
Podcasts have continued to increase in popularity in 2019. And the same is true for Nugget’s News Crypto Podcast. Seeing it continuously rank in the top 200 of Apple Podcasts’ business category—including a bump to 42nd just a few days ago—has been uplifting.
Undoubtedly, the ever-growing quality of guests has helped grow listenership of late. It’s been a pleasure to interview the likes of Andreas Anotonopoulos, Erik Voorhees, Roger Ver, Changpeng ‘CZ’ Zhao, and Mark Yusko in recent weeks.
Delivering More Premium Content for Members
Throughout the year, Nugget’s Crypto Community (NCC) members had introduced to them a number of new features and initiatives—all at no extra cost to their membership. Below are some notable additions.
- Monthly Fundamentals Report—covers a handful of cryptocurrencies and emerging projects that are important to be aware of.
- Monthly Precious Metals Report—an experienced mining engineer partnered with us to deliver reports on various aspects of the precious metals space.
- Daily Community Recap—members receive an email every business day summarising the best from the NCC.
- Josh Turnbull Member of the Month—an initiative to recognise and reward NCC members who give up their time to provide value for others.
Nugget’s Weekly Digest
At the beginning of the year, the NCC was Nugget’s News’ sole product. That all changed mid-year with the launch of Nugget’s Weekly Digest—a weekly snapshot of important crypto and macroeconomic news; market and sentiment movements; key dates; and more.
The digest—which NCC members receive for no additional cost—is emailed every Monday night (AET) and has provided those otherwise too busy to stay abreast with the fast-moving crypto world a time- and cost-effective solution.
Whilst I try and minimise travel where possible, I was glad that I was able to represent the crypto industry at a number of events around Australia. It was nice to host a few members-only dinners whilst visiting certain cities, also.
When reflecting on the year’s events, conferences, and meetups, the ones that stand out the most are:
- EDCON 2019 (Sydney)—attending both mine and Australia’s first-ever major Ethereum conference was an experience I’ll never forget. I had a great time speaking with project representatives and gaining insight into Ethereum’s progress. For those interested, the Nugget’s News YouTube channel has a 16-part EDCON playlist. I recommend watching my interview with Kain Warwick, the founder of Synthetix. I’ll never forget returning from EDCON and telling members all about Synthetix and the SNX token—which is now 15x the price just eight months later.
- Gold & Alternate Investments Conference (Sydney)—my return to the Harbour City later in the year was a lot different. That’s because I left the ‘crypto bubble’ and took up the opportunity to present on Bitcoin at Australia’s largest gold investment event.
- Inaugural Blockchain Australia National Meetup Roadshow (Launceston)—it was terrific to be able to represent Blockchain Australia at the Launceston leg of their nationwide roadshow. It’s been a privilege serving on the board of Blockchain Australia and I’m confident it will do a great job representing the industry moving forward.
Looking Back, Looking Ahead
Overall, 2019 was full of ups and downs—what year isn’t!? Many precious memories made. Many lessons learnt. Regarding the crypto space, the need for education was as apparent as ever. I was glad we could do our bit by launching free resources like The Ultimate Quick-Start to Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency and our glossary of cryptocurrency terms. There is, however, still a lot of work to do.
As far as industry-wide themes for 2020 go, I expect gaming, blockchain interoperability, and staking to be big. Of course, decentralised finance (DeFi) is almost certain to play a huge role—as it has this year. For Bitcoin, you can guarantee the block subsidy halving will dominate discussion in the months preceding May.
I’ll also be keeping a close eye on the development of privacy-enhancing technologies designed for Bitcoin and Ethereum, as I still believe this is a significant headwind no one is thinking about. Finally, I anticipate decentralised autonomous organisations (DAOs) to continue their resurgence next year.
As for what’s ahead for Nugget’s News in 2020, we’re just weeks away from launching our NCC-only portal—a place for members to easily locate exclusive materials and archived educational videos. And after that? Well, I’ll keep those plans to myself for now. Don’t want to be spoiling the excitement before the year has even started!
Wishing you all a happy and safe festive break.
Alex / Nugget
Join over 6,500 subscribers in receiving free analyses every week on cryptocurrencies, financial markets and macroeconomic events by subscribing to our free mailing list.